WHY OWN A GENERATOR?
Now you have it. Now you don’t. From hurricanes and snow storms to accidents, tens of millions of Americans lose electrical power to their homes each year. No warning – just no lights, no heat, no air conditioning. No refrigerator, no sump pump, no security system. A few hours without power is a nuisance. Losing power for days, weeks or even longer can be costly and downright dangerous.
An automatic standby generator returns your home to full power within seconds, 24/7, even when you’re not at home. More convenient than a portable unit, a fully automatic standby generator senses an outage and begins to produce power immediately. There are no extension cords to plug in, gas tanks to fill or switches to flip. A generator delivers the power you need, the security and peace of mind you want.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
Standby generators are completely automatic, helping to ensure that your home or business remains safe from the negative and potentially harmful effects of power loss.
- The system automatically and continuously monitors incoming power from the utility line.
- When utility power is interrupted, the control system in the generator automatically senses the loss of power and signals the generator to start.
- The automatic transfer switch safely closes off the utility line and simultaneously opens a new power line from the generator.
- Your generator supplies electricity to your main distribution panel through an automatic transfer switch. You can elect to back up selected emergency circuits or your entire electrical service.
- When utility line voltage returns, the system transfers the electrical load back to the utility line. The generator continues to run for an engine cool-down period of several minutes and the entire system stands ready for the next power outage.
- To ensure the system is always ready when you need it, your generator will run a 10-12 minute self-test cycle every week.